The purpose of prophets in the church
· To train people to hear the Lord for themselves.
· To teach believers how to find and live in the will of God for themselves.
· To instruct and train people in the gift of prophecy and to help churches establish the right frame work and protocol for the gift.
· To bring the word of the Lord either in inspired preaching or supernatural prophetic utterance.
· He is called to a working relationship with the apostolic ministry.
· He acts as a catalyst within the church to make things happen.
· God is always speaking, unfortunately the church is not always listening.
· Prophet is also active in terms of preparation Isa.40:3, Lk.1:17.
· The scribes and Pharisees failed to discern the greatest sign of all, the Messiah walking in their midst. It required John the Baptist to say – Jn.1:29-34.
· Prophets are also preparing the bride of Christ, literally making ready a people for the Lord Eph.5:25-27.
· Prophets are activists. They are part of equipping the saints for the work of the ministry that every church must have access to these days.
· They play a great role in declaring the word of the Lord to exhort, edify and comfort the body of Christ.
· Prophets role is in predictive prophecy called foretelling to shape the direction of the church, to cause a desire for godliness and to empower and release people.
· He works closely with other of the five fold ministries. He travels and ministers with other prophets Acts.11:27.
· He is always working to move forward in to new revelation and is looking for challenges , battles to fight and things to overcome.
· Apostles and prophets are linked together to help achieve purposes of God Eph.2:20.